Name of Project/Initiative: Rollout of Online Labs (Olabs) for Schools
- Collaborating Agency (if any): Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Period: June 2015 to December 2020
- Funding Agency: Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY)
- Brief Description:
It is generally true that most of the students do not have enough practical experience of many of the actual experiments and standard accurate methods due to lack of laboratory equipments, teachers and time in the academic institutions. The era of online learning has made it easy for getting learning materials online and also have access to standard methods of various practical/ scientific experiments.
To overcome lack of actual labs, MeitY supported a project to CDAC and Amrita to develop online laboratory for experiments. CDAC and Amrita have developed OLabs with phase I covering experiments of Physics & chemistry of class 9th & 10th in English language in 1st phase and in 2nd phase, it extended the efforts for other subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology, English for higher classes (9th -12th class) in other regional languages namely Hindi, Marathi, Malayalam, etc. Currently around 173 labs are available for free online access on OLabs website.
“Rollout of Online Labs for schools” project aims to enable capacity building for OLabs at a national level with the goal of providing a rich educational experience for teachers and students extensive and sustained usage of OLabs. Apart from giving free access to Olabs website, an offline version (DVD + Windows Installer) is being distributed one per school to all schools participating in the training programme.
- Expected Outcome
- To create the infrastructural and support framework for making Olabs (online labs for schools) accessible and usable by students and teachers across India. This includes level 1 and 2 support, toll free numbers, etc.
- To train approximately 30000 teachers across India in effective use of Olabs resources to enhance the teaching learning experience.
- Training Status: Total 42506 teachers and 10861 schools trained by CDAC and Amrita team (till January 2021).
- Support for Olabs: Helpdesk is hosted at http://support.olabs.co.in/. Email id provided for helpdesk is support[at]olabs[dot]co[dot]in Helpline Number is also provided on the OLabs website.
- OLabs website is fully set up on NKN, to provide high bandwidth network and to connect with all research & educational institute across India.
- Offline Version of OLabs – Live DVD and Windows Installer is available.
- Some photographs of training programs –